Ray is the Head of Commercial Litigation.
Ray Thapar has been counsel in some of the highest profile cases in Canada, includingBCE Inc. Re. He has been litigation counsel to Royal Bank of Canada, HSBC Bank Canada, HSBC Bank USA, National Bank, Bank of Montreal, PwC, MetLife, Manulife Financial, Transamerica, hedge funds, receivers/managers as well and medium-sized businesses in matters ranging from $100,000 to more than $5 billion.
Aggressive, responsive and effective are the three principles that exemplify his approach to dispute resolution. He is aggressively pursues his client’s interests; he is responsive to client needs by fashioning creative and pragmatic strategies designed to achieve client objectives; and is effective in achieving results at each stage of the dispute resolution process.
Ray Thapar’s extensive knowledge of the law and legal procedure is supplemented by his extensive business experience, having managed a $70-million portfolio of commercial, industrial and multi-unit residential real estate. With his extensive business background, he provides legal advice that is both legally appropriate and practical.
Ray Thapar is also the legal advisor to community organizations and charitable causes.
Ray Thapar has practiced exclusively in the area of commercial litigation since the beginning of his career. He acts for plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation matters, including but not limited to:
- Breach of contract;
- Breach of trust/fiduciary duties;
- Cheque kiting;
- Civil fraud
- Civil Remedies Act;
- Commercial leasing;
- Construction lien;
- Coverage applications;
- Directors’ and officers’ liability;
- Enforcement of foreign judgments;
- Extraordinary equitable remedies including anton piller and Mareva injunctions;
- Guarantee actions;
- Mortgage fraud;
- Oppression remedy litigation;
- Real estate litigation including rescission and specific performance;
- Shareholder and partnership disputes;
- Solicitor and professional negligence;
- Vexatious litigant applications;
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Admitted to the Canadian Bar Association, 2002
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar Association, 2002
- Admitted to the Toronto Lawyers Association, 2002
- 2001 Bachelor of Arts – York University
- 2001 LLB – Osgoode Hall Law School